Instagram's ‘Map Search' feature enables users to discover businesses and locations of interest interactively on a moveable map. This allows users to find information on each listed business, alongside public posts at the location.
This feature allows users to find businesses within their local area or an area of interest, it opens up the possibility for many small, local businesses to stand out on the platform.
How to find Instagram’s map search:
- In your ‘Explore’ tab click on the map icon in the top right-hand corner
- If you agreed to provide Instagram with access to your location, what is popular nearby will automatically show up
- You can search for a place by typing its anew in the search bar or select from a suggested category
- You can also search for places by typing in their location, city, product, service or hashtag and then scroll throughout the map to view all elements
From a business perspective, we’re loving the Map Search feature and believe it has been a long time coming. This reiterates the importance of location tagging and ensuring your customers take and share images at your location to boost your physical presence digitally.
How to ensure your business appears on Instagram’s Map Search feature:
- Make sure your business has a category. Edit profile > Category
- Be sure to tag your location on your post. Do this for all posts and stories.
- Use hashtags that reflect your brand. People can now search the map for specific items like #doughnuts & #hairsalon so make sure your posts and stories are tagged with the relevant hashtags.