There are few businesses that aren’t harnessing (whether well or poorly) the power that is social media marketing, but with the many, many options, how do you choose the right ones for your business?
Here are a few things to think about when deciding on the social media channels to focus your efforts on.
What are your objectives?
• Increase brand awareness: Facebook and Instagram are well-established mediums with a large following. Paid advertising is the most effective method to expand your reach on these channels, even with a small budget.
• Drive sales leads: For B2C, Facebook and Twitter are effective choices, and for B2B leads, LinkedIn is well-renowned.
• More consumer engagement: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter not only have a larger user base, these users sign on every day, if not multiple times throughout the day, and are constantly engaging (follow, like, comment, share, etc.) with brands.
Where are your customers?
Understanding where your target audience is online ensures you’re not wasting your time and efforts. There’s no point maintaining a Snapchat account if your customer is primarily men in their 50s.
What are your competitors doing?
If you’re exploring what social media channels to get involved in, a helpful step is to see where your competitors have invested their efforts, and what sort of content consumers are responding well to for inspiration.
What should you post?
The type of content is very dependent on each business and what you’re wanting to share, along with what your target audience would be interested in seeing.
• Imagery: Instagram, Pinterest and Tumblr
• Short video: TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat
• Long video: Youtube, Facebook and Twitter
• Industry updates or company news: LinkedIn and Twitter
• Editorial: LinkedIn and Medium
Should you be on every channel out there?
To put it bluntly, no. It is best to find two or three channels to focus your time and effort (and money), and do these really well, than spread your resources thinly across many mediums.
Do you need help?
You think you’ve found the right channels for your business, but you still don’t know where to start?
If you’re not sure what content to post, how to manage the accounts or have the time to commit, stress no more! Contact us and we’ll help you improve your online presence.